Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Two Short Stories

From my first class today:

Dr. Evil: "You have plans for Thanksgiving?"
Me: "I am going all the way up to Wisconsin to see relatives."
Dr. Evil: "Ah, you leave tomorrow?"
Me: "No, Wednesday."
Another Classmate: "Tomorrow is Wednesday."
Me: "Oh, yeah, tomorrow then."
Dr. Evil: Smiles, "Sounds like you are ready for Thanksgiving break."

Yeah, I guess.

Second story.
I noticed on my most recent credit card statement that the interest charge had gone up while the account balance had gone done so I called up VISA.

Disemobodied Voice: "How can I help you today?"
Me: "Talk to a representative." (This is not an option on the menu last I checked, but you can say it and it works.)
DV: "To further assist you let me get some information from you. What is the account number you are calling about?"
Me: "I don't know." (That credit card was cut up awhile ago."
DV: "Ok, sounds like I need to get someone on the line to help you out, hang out just a moment."

So I get a real person and ask them what my interest rate is. It is prime plus something.

Real Person: "Do you want that lowered?"
Me: Half-stunned, "Uhm, yeah."
RP: "Well, we can lower that [4%]."
Me: "Uhm, great!"

Note that I didn't even get to ask for a lower rate, she offered it. Weird. Of course, I took it. It wasn't completely unlike the last time I called asking about rates. I was trying to get the rate down from around 24% (starting rate for college students) and just asking got it cut back 10%. Nice. Real nice.


No comments: