Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Digital Recording of My Life

Holy cow, it's late! I meant to be in bed nearly 45 minutes ago, but I had this post...

I've been working on a writing project for some time now, it was completely lost when my hard drive on my laptop died. Fortunately, the sources that I pulled most of it from (all my own original writing) still are around.

But I had to go and find these files again which have been scattered across several hard drives email, and multiple folders. What really struck me was that between the emails, my writing -- both homework and journals -- and blog entries, I have a pretty detailed record of my life, at least from the last 4-5 years. I may or may not be able to recover data further back than that, but it gets sparser at that point anyway.

It just is amazing how much of our lives are becoming self-recording without our even thinking about it...


1 comment:

Katie Addington said...

Yeah, I'm also surprised you weren't in bed yet! But I do enjoy reading your reflections, so hurray for that.